As a quantity surveyor with Water Solutions Ireland, working closely with our commercial, project and financial departments, you will be required to manage all costs relating to all existing and prospective Mechanical & Electrical projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures.
You’ll seek to minimise the cost of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality and ensuring all regulations are met. You will be responsible for preparing estimates and costs of work for the initial stages of works. As projects progress, you will be responsible for tracking any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create progress reports detailing compliance with the various project financial KPI’s.
• Assume full responsibility for the efficient and effective financial control of projects including monthly valuations, job costing reviews and final accounts.
• Review contracts prior to signing to identify, analyse and develop responses to commercial risks.
• Manage monthly variations to ensure payments received in accordance with contract conditions.
• Manage contractual claims using experience and knowledge of NEC Suite of Contracts.
• Prepare and analyse costings for tenders to contribute to the preparation of tender documents in association with the Commercial Director.
• Allocate work to subcontractors; value completed work and arrange payments.
• Ensure subcontracts are properly prepared.
• Prepare detailed progress reports demonstrating ongoing project performances.
• Understand the implications of Health and Safety regulations.
• Ensure compliance throughout all projects with relevant health and safety regulations, environmental policies and general duty of care.
• Take ownership of costing of several simultaneous projects from award to handover.
• Advise on a procurement strategy and negotiate with suppliers/potential suppliers to ensure quality while achieving value for money.
• Any other duties within reason and capability as determined by the Contracts Director.
• Must comply with the requirements of the IMS including the IMS Policies and Procedures in order to benefit from legal compliance, protection of the environmental, prevention of injury and ill health, and increased customer satisfaction and repeat business from customers.
• Degree qualified in Quantity Surveying or a related discipline
• Valid CSR
• Obtained or working towards gaining Chartered status.
• 3+ years’ relevant experience as a Quantity Surveyor.
• Strong working knowledge of contract documents, construction practices & techniques – specifically NEC forms of contract.
• Demonstrable experience in securing the successful financial delivery of projects by controlling costs, progressing monthly valuations and managing variations and changes. • Previous experience in Water/Wastewater engineering projects essential.
• Previous experience in Water/Wastewater engineering projects essential.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including effective negotiation and influencing skills.
• Ability to build, manage & maintain relationships with clients, contractors, other construction professionals, suppliers and site staff.
• Commercial awareness and decision-making abilities.
• Proven ability to interpret and make calculations based on engineering drawings/designs.
• Evidence of strong organisational, planning and time management skills.
• Proven ability to successfully integrate into a multi-disciplined engineering team.
• Sound IT skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Project & Excel).
• Knowledge of/ experience with Redsky software.
• Able to work flexibly as required to ensure business needs are met.
• Current full driving license.
• Based in NI but may be required to travel, including overnight stays.
• Valid passport.
• Able to fulfil the physical requirements of the job (e.g. climbing, working in dirty/dusty environments).